Many Victorian students and families of Afghan background are currently experiencing trauma because of the events unfolding in Afghanistan. Furthermore, this is a difficult time for school staff supporting students in a remote learning environment.
Foundation House have prepared two recordings for school staff you can view here, and a downloadable Resource which provide schools with important information about how they can support their students and families of Afghan background. Further initiatives will follow.
Download our PDF resource “Supporting students and families of Afghan background” here: sifr.foundationhouse.org.au/app/uploads/2021/08/Supporting-students-and-families-of-Afghan-background.pdf
Schools Briefing: Supporting students and families of Afghan Background
For PowerPoint Slides of the Briefing Session, Click here: FH Briefing_Supporting Students & Families of Afghan Backgrounds
Q&A with Zabi Mazoori on supporting Afghan Students and Families
Online Forum for Afghan Multicultural Education Aides in Victorian Schools – Recorded 31 August 2021
- Referral Pathways – Afghan Inquiries. Foundation House has put together a referral pathways information sheet covering legal advice, visa information and Foundation House services.
- Refugee Legal – Information Sheet: Legal assistance for people impacted by the crisis in Afghanistan (English), (Dari version). This information sheet outlines key information for people seeking legal help who are impacted by the crisis in Afghanistan.
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre – Information sheet for people impacted by the crisis in Afghanistan. This document covers how to seek help from Afghanistan, on behalf of someone in Afghanistan and how to get visa advice for people currently living in Australia, originally from Afghanistan.
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre – New legal assistance available for people from Afghanistan. The ASRC is partnering with a number of law firms and a large number of volunteer lawyers to provide free legal assistance to people from
Afghanistan through a “pop-up” legal clinic which will operate for the next 4-6 weeks.
- Queensland program of assistance to survivors of torture and trauma (QPASTT) – Responding to people in distress. Information about what to expect and how you can help people experiencing distress.
- Interpreting & translating services are funded for government schools by the Victorian Department of Education and Training (DET) and are provided through the Victorian Interpreting and Translating Service LanguageLoop.
Translated messages of solidarity for schools in Dari and Pashto
We recommend that schools express their solidarity with and care for students and families of Afghan background and to their loved ones still in Afghanistan via a school-wide communication in English, Dari and Pashto.
To assist schools communicating we provide the following messages of solidarity with translations.
You can download these Word documents, add a personalised introduction/school logo, save as PDF and share with your school community: